During this Sunday, I had the goal to go into the field with my FT817nd and mobile whip for 20M. I had the mobile whip for 6M also taken with me. With the internal battery the output is 2.5 watts.
When arrived on location in JO21QW I parked the car on the side of the road and put the ground wire of about 5 meters rolled out across the grass. With the rig in the hand this way I got a good SWR. In terms of reception I was very pleased. In about 2 hours I worked to my great surprise, 3 stations.
RW1CW, who was working in a contest.
IV3NVD, they always called with a reference of UD128 (What is this mean?).
Finally I worked with Rick, TK5/F2PI/M. This station was mobile in Corsica with 100 watts from the car and mobile antenna.
I have also called to several other stations, including OH0/PA3BAG. Jack heard me but it was not a complete QSO.
On 6 meters I heard some weak signals, calls had no effect. In the beaconband I heard SV3BSF.
The experiment was successfull for this day. It is possible to use a very small antenna, even if it takes more effort.
Last week I found this site about this way of operating made by Roger G3XBM.
73, Tjeerd (Gose) - PA3GNZ
Attenuator for the FT-817 by G4EFE - On my Blog post about the Power attenuator for the FT-817, that I published in SPRAT, I got a very nice comment from Martin *G4EFE*. Martin writes: Hi Bert...
11 hours ago